Two stories from my past...

Moderators: Pierre, Moderators, Harry's Angels

Two stories from my past...

Postby Kie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:48 am

I'm a huge music fan, ever since the age of 14 when I heard Don't Worry Baby by The Beach Boys, it kind of changed my life. Bu my mother always said that I was born to the sound of Teresa Brewer singing Music! Music! Music! so popular music has been in my ears from birth! I remember first hearing Billy in the early sixties, and I really liked what I heard. Cliff was cool but Billy was super cool. Anyway, I was in school one day, around 1965 I think it was, and we were having a French lesson with our form teacher Mr Priestman. Three of the girls at the back of the class suddenly burst into uncontrollable crying. Mr Priestman calmed them down and asked what was wrong. They said Billy had been playing a gig in Carlisle the night before and had been rushed to hospital. We never knew anything about his heart condition at the time, we were just children. Anyway, Mr Priestman went down to the secretary's office and phoned the hospital to check on Billy's condition. He came back to the classroom and told the girls Billy was doing fine. He was a truly compassionate teacher Mr Priestman. Anyway, fast forward to 1969/1970 and I'm a cub reporter on the News & Star in Carlisle and I've been working off and on at the local nightclub, the Talk of the Border, for a few months doing everything from DJ-ing to doorman to behind the bars... loads of stars appeared at the club, but the one I will always remember and cherish is..... Billy. His voice was amazing and for ten minutes I had the pleasure of working the nightclub's pretty poor spotlights on him as he used up the stage... the guy who normally did it had to nip to the loo! I've cherished that moment for years, having bought various Billy CDs over the last 30 years or so. Every time I play a track that moment comes back to me clear as a bell. We were introduced to Billy very briefly and he came across as a real gentleman. Just thought I'd share this with you all.
Kie

Re: Two stories from my past...

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:39 am

Great memories Kie & a warm welcome to Billy Fury.com. You'll 'meet' some luvly people on board.. & Billy's BIGGEST fans. Rock On Like Fury!
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby cathy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Kie, a great story , thankyou .... I hope you come and visit us on here again and again ... xxx

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm

What a wonderful story Kie. I love reading about Billy in the years gone by as it evokes such wonderful memories :)

We are all Billy friends on here and welcome everyone who takes the time and trouble to drop by.
xxxx
:welcomehere:
"A smile is the window to the soul which shows there is a caring sharing person inside".
Jan
Megaposter

Return to Welcome to new members