Biography of an Artist NO 15 - ADAM FAITH.

An insight into the careers of 60s artists

Moderator: rockerbob

Biography of an Artist NO 15 - ADAM FAITH.

Postby rockerbob » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:21 pm

Faith became an immediate star, with his matinee-idol looks and charismatic screen presence. He was signed to EMI's Parlophone label soon after he began work on Drumbeat. In November of 1959, he cut the single "What Do You Want," which soared to number one on the British charts in the course of a 19-week run. With a pleasing, upbeat arrangement built around pizzicato strings and a sort of peppy variation of Elvis' scowling, mumbling demeanor, Faith's career at this point was closer to teen pop than rock & roll, although his stuff is eminently listenable. His next single, "Poor Me," was a better song and also reached number one, while his third, "Somebody Else's Baby," got to number two. Although hardly cutting-edge rock & roll (and one has to ignore singles like "When Johnny Comes Marching Home"), it was all pleasant, rather reminiscent of Buddy Holly songs like "True Love Ways." The best of his singles was the John Barry co-authored "Made You," which owes a bit to songs like "Nervous Breakdown" -- it also showed what Faith could do with a real, straight-ahead rock & roll number. Bob :cool:

One step will start a journey
One word will start a prayer.
One hope can raise our spirits
One touch can show you care.

Grand Poster

Postby marie » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:34 pm

I thought Adam was a much better actor than singer and just got much better looking with age. It's such a shame he left us so young.

Postby Pierre » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm gonna try and squeeze in some Adam Faith songs in my show tomorrow night!

Tune in every Sunday!

8pm-10pm -

Pierre Petrou
Radio Harrow
Watford Road
Text: 07814 77 69 87

Return to Bob's biogs