Who could play Billy in a "Billy Fury Film"and why

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mickal Rowland » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:30 pm

pauline wrote:No. But, tunnels, bridges etc have long featured in the development of the IOW. I think most people who live on the IOW don't want any sort of link except the one we have via the ferries. Sometimes I'd like to see a tunnel....like Euro tunnel....because it costs so much money to get off the island....but most times I'm not sure whether it would be a good thing for the island or not. I've lived here for 30 years....Johnny has always lived on the IOW....what does he think about a tunnel link? And, what are your sisters views?

hi ya pauline sorry for delay, its my daughter that lives on the iow, and shes only fifteen, but i think ive heard it said that the iow ferry service is the most expensive, mile for mile in the world,
'you cant kid a kidder'
Mickal Rowland

Postby Jean » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Mickal, never mind tunnels and cost of ferry services, I thought you were about to tell us who could play Billy in a film and why - cos we've been waiting quite a while for your answer. :wink:
Jean
Megaposter

Postby Mickal Rowland » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Jean wrote:Mickal, never mind tunnels and cost of ferry services, I thought you were about to tell us who could play Billy in a film and why - cos we've been waiting quite a while for your answer. :wink:

hiya jean, funny you should that, cos im just about to deal with that now on the story continues, my answer will be on there in 20 minutes. thanks jean, mickal
'you cant kid a kidder'
Mickal Rowland

Re: Who could play Billy in a "Billy Fury Film"and

Postby micky_f » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Jean wrote:
pauline wrote: I always thought that Gary Mavers would make a good Billy...but I expect he's too old now. But whoever, it will need someone very, very special, don't you think?

As you know, Pauline, Gary Mavers would be my favourite one to play Billy.

Without any shadow of doubt it would have to be Gary Mavers, I saw him in Birmingham 1988 the replay of the 1960 Eddie Cochran tour put on the road by Bill Kenwright...yeah long time back now but he literally 'stopped' the show with his performance as Billy.....it was such a shock all the audience actually was quiet and stunned.... I went again another night to see the show and the very same thing happened.....I've seen so many 'TRY' since to impersonate or play him....NONE have come anywhere near to my mind... he would have played Billy again but I understand was too busy with his TV roles.... I actually had gone to see the show as it was about Eddie Cochran....I won't say too much about the guy that played Eddie.....Hmmm!!! But Gary shook the audience rigid.....Mike :eek: :eek:
micky_f

Re: Who could play Billy in a "Billy Fury Film"and why

Postby cathy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Wow this is an old thread!! (6 years ago)

Mike take a look at this debate ... oh and Welcome! ... xxx
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=200
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby Jean » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Hiya Mike

I am curious as to why out of "all the threads on all the topics in this forum" you picked this one." :lol:
A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have
Jean
Megaposter

Postby micky_f » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Jean wrote:Hiya Mike

I am curious as to why out of "all the threads on all the topics in this forum" you picked this one." :lol:

Hi.... thanks for the welcome BTW, I've been a Billy Fury fan for more years than you'd want to admit to, 1st generation one that recalls Billy so well...met a lot of these guys in that era as my dad was on the stage. So why did I pick this thread???? NEVER before had I seen anyone enact Billy so well as Gary Mavers, I repeat the audience was literally shocked at the reality of Gary's performance...the hairs stood up on the back of your neck and it must have been the same for everyone that knew Billy from those years , Gary was from the right place too.....Liverpool...not that I'm saying the guy that plays Billy has to be from the 'Pool' but it's strange how it was. I also let Gary know that it shook me rigid,,the likeness...the actions...the stance...the voice....was the very very best I've ever seen...to this day no one has done better and I've seen so many......nothing has ever come up to his portrayal of that role. for the people that never saw him perform......they missed a lifetime opportunity for sure....it was 1988 when I saw him...twice in the same week at Birmingham Hippodrome...the place where he'd played with Eddie Cochran in 1960......the last tour Eddie was on unfortunately........have I gone too far off subject for your question ??????? :?: :???:
micky_f

Postby Jean » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 pm

micky_f wrote: ........have I gone too far off subject for your question ??????? :?: :???:

No, not at all Mike - Gary Mavers would be my favourite to play Billy - particularly because his accent is authentic and not a fake one!

A lot of us on here are "1st generation" Billy fans and, like you, were lucky to see him perform many times. I saw Billy and Eddie Cochran in Liverpool a few weeks before Eddie died.
A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have
Jean
Megaposter

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 am

Are you kidding????
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby micky_f » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am

Moya....Not Kidding at all...the photo you have put on of Gary is a recent one where he put some weight on....you obviously never had the chance of witnessing his outstanding unequalled performance of Billy .... obviously...he would have to lose weight now to play the part....like many of us need to !!!!! :( but he's way ahead of any of the so called impersonators doing the rounds that I've seen, and I've seen all including the ones that don't get onto the TV or the normal circuits
micky_f

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:19 pm

Maybe so ( ??? ) But that was THEN - This is NOW.
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby micky_f » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:32 pm

So Moya,.....do you have a video of your suggested candidate ??????????????

:glasses9:
micky_f

Postby Katie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:54 pm

What a pity Elvis isn't still alive Moya - he would really be the ideal candidate :D
Forgiveness is a funny thing; it warms the heart, and cools the sting.
Katie
Megaposter

Postby micky_f » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah Katie....so right about Elvis........but if we're looking for a singer....and a near enough look guy that could be made up a little....how about Gareth Gates ????
micky_f

Postby Katie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, why not? Our very own Rob Dee is also a dead ringer ...
Forgiveness is a funny thing; it warms the heart, and cools the sting.
Katie
Megaposter

PreviousNext

Return to Trivia questions