Who could play Billy in a "Billy Fury Film"and why

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Who could play Billy in a "Billy Fury Film"and why

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Rob looks nothing like Billy.

:PDT_01: One Billy Fury, there's only one Billy Fury....One Billy Fury, there's only one Billy Fury.
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby micky_f » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Err !!!! I think the question was.........Who could play Billy Fury in a film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we all know the genuine article is VERY SADLY no longer with us !!!!!!

No one can sing the same.....as with Buddy Holly.... there is nothing like the original because they were totally unique.......sorry to state the obvious.
micky_f

Postby Jean » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:41 pm

I saw the "Be bop-a-lula" play in Liverpool in about 1988 - is that the one you are referring to, Mike?

Although I like Gareth Gates, I don't think he would be the one to play Billy - Gavin Stanley looks more like him, is a great singer and again has the right accent.
A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have
Jean
Megaposter

Postby micky_f » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes Jean,

I think that may well have been the title, I went because I was actually doing a reasearch story on Eddie Cochran for a colleague in the music industry, I had tickets for the first night which you can guess were complimentary...but so stunned by Gary Mavers performance and the affect he had on the audience when he sang Colette, the characteristics and exact movements he had studied of Billy's, I bought tickets again to see him in particular to see if the first night was just a 'one off' but it wasn't, he had everything timed to a science, I know he said he'd studied everything of Billy's act....brilliant!!! Of the others in the show..., Amelia Bullmore was in ....before she went into 'Corrie' I think.... Bill Kenwright always usually works wonders with the shows he puts on the road.

Such a pity they didn't get Darrell Higham to play Eddie in that show....Oh well....can't have everything.
micky_f

Postby Katie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Moya. T.B.F.F.C. wrote:Rob looks nothing like Billy.

:PDT_01: One Billy Fury, there's only one Billy Fury....One Billy Fury, there's only one Billy Fury.

I know that, silly. I was having a laff (as you would say) - you know we don't mean to give offence, Moya, relax.
Forgiveness is a funny thing; it warms the heart, and cools the sting.
Katie
Megaposter

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:02 pm

micky_f wrote:
Such a pity they didn't get Darrell Higham to play Eddie in that show.....

Isn't Darrel Higham the husband of Imelda May? I remember hearing them on the radio saying how much they like Billy and Eddie; they also said that they don't live far from where Billy is buried and they go to his grave sometimes.
Jean
Megaposter

Postby micky_f » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Jean....you're right on there.... he is married to Imelda.....if you liked Eddie....and you get a chance to see Darrel.....don't let it go by, he really is superb, if you go onto youtube and put in Darrel's name you'll see a few clips on there...but not really too good of him, you know it's difficult for any artiste to improve on a cover of a song by an original artiste..... but he has done in some cases and he can play that Gretsch 6120 just like Eddie used to, in fact he was acclaimed by Eddie's family.....Eddie's mom (Alice) even allowed him to play Eddies old Gretsch which she treasured like gold..... Darrel has some guitar tuition videos on youtube and they're worthwhile looking at.

You are a sharp one Jean....hope you enjoy a Merry Christmas....as I hope everyone on here will. :D
micky_f

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Will have a listen to Darrel on YouTube over the next few days - I loved Eddie Cochran's music, particularly "Sitting In the Balcony".

Merry Christmas to you, too, Mike.
Jean
Megaposter

Postby micky_f » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Jean,,,

Try this link to see him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtr14YLgqEM

MF
micky_f

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks for the link, Mike - just listened to it. Also listened to "Completely Sweet" - he is great, isn't he?
Jean
Megaposter

Postby micky_f » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:55 am

the sound on that clip is not good... but in concert when he does a ' cochran connection' he' s fantastic...he does have 2 cd's titled 'The Cochran Connection' very good indeed..... glad you liked it Jean.... Mike
micky_f

Previous

Return to Trivia questions